[Solved] Suddenly not opening + workaround

If you have detected any bug you can write it here
HDV

[Solved] Suddenly not opening + workaround

Post by HDV »

UPDATE 22/jan/2021: presets not working and software slowing down solved by using Windows' Disk Cleanup

Hello! I've been using this launcher for like 2 weeks (and I LOVE IT!) and I've been having a weird problem. Maybe it's not the launcher, maybe it's my Windows (64 bits, 20H2 version) or something else.

Problem:
Some days (yeah, "days", not "sometimes", pretty weird) the launcher had some freezes for like 20 seconds after closing gzdoom, changing preset or selecting a different wad from custom mode. Doesn't matter if I restart the PC, the thing still happens. While not reacting, I can see in the task manager how it uses 10-10.9% of my CPU (i7 8700k) going up and down in that range, like really trying to do something, then it goes back to 0% once the software starts responding.
Yesterday, while testing some total conversions, it just stopped working. I've been opening and closing the launcher while looking for new mods (I know about the "refresh data" thing in the upper right, but I forgot about it). While opening the launcher, I see the spash screen with the loading bar getting full, then disappearing, but I still see the .exe in the task manager using again 10-10.9% of the CPU but never opening the launcher. I left it like it for like 10 minutes but nothing.

Workaround:
Now the weird part: downloaded the launcher again, on a new folder, and still the same problem. Deleted the Data folder and it launched without problems and pretty fast. Then restored the Data folder and it's not running again. Then I removed Data/cfgs folder, and now it works really well, same for the original folder with all the extra mods/addons/maps. Of course, the preset tab now is empty, but I don't mind it, I'm always on the Custom Mode tab.

Extra info:
Since I started using the launcher, I created a new category with 5 custom presets to play with Steam overlay (then I deleted those, from the launcher itself). A few days ago, I created new categories for addons (music and shaders) to have everything more organized, but directly from the folders, and the last thing I did (but the launcher was still working, sometimes freezing for 20 secs but working) before the launcher not opening again was create a new subcategory for mods (one for total conversions), and again, directly from the folders, never from the launcher, it was faster for me. Downloaded like 3 gb of total conversion, everything was working fine except for those 20 seconds of freezing on alt-tabbing back, choosing a different game (on custom mode) or opening the dropdown menu on presets mode, and then not working again until I found that workaround.

(Edit: I have the launcher on "C:\Games\Hakros Doom", outside any protected folder, also downloaded ".NET Framework 4.6.1" but it says already have it installed)

As I said, I removed the cfgs subfolder under Data and it works again really fast, but of course, I don't have presets anymore but I don't mind. I'm still adding subcategories and downloading more mods/addons/TCs and it works really good without the presets.
Maybe I screwed up something adding subcategories and mods directly on the folders instead of doing it from the launcher? Today I noticed the folder %AppData%\Local\Hakros_Interactive, maybe there's something there I should fix?

I hope this wall of text helps in some way. Thanks again for creating such amazing launcher :mrgreen:
Last edited by HDV on 22 Jan 2021 23:32, edited 3 times in total.
Sorry for my english.

hakros
Site Admin

Re: Suddenly not opening + workaround

Post by hakros »

Hi, how are you ?

Thank you very much for such detailed information.

I'm glad you like the program, thank you for using it... :D !

I have an i7-6700K and I dont have performance problems with CPU usage.

I'll have to do some additional tests but the truth is that it is quite strange.

I'll tell you as soon as I know something.

Again thanks so much for your interest.

HDV

Post by HDV »

I just restored the Data/cfgs subfolder (I have the data package, btw), the launcher is working again, but:
First, it took 19 seconds from the splash screen closing to the launcher opening. Closed, opened again, this time took 4 seconds. Then again, now it took 2 seconds. If I keep it closed for a few minutes, it goes back to like 15 seconds to launch. The more time it's closed, the more it takes to open again (up to 20 seconds). If I remove the Data/cfgs, it only takes half second to launch.

While writing this, I had the launcher on the background for a few minutes. Alt-tabbing back it got stuck for like 30 seconds. Keeps happening while I keep it open. Also it gets stuck in the same way when I change preset or when I close the game and go back to the launcher.

Now I'm testing it but launching the games, from Presets Mode and Custom Mode. When I close a game and I'm back to the launcher, it's stuck like this for ~30 seconds:

After launching and closing games from it a few times, the launcher is not opening again, stuck in the taskbar using ~10% of CPU.

Deleted Data/cfgs again and it's working again, opening in like half second, super fast. No freezes, no problems, no weird CPU usage.

I have nothing else to add for now. Something happens while Data/cfgs have the presets on it. I still think my Windows is the responsible of this, maybe some seccurity setting or something not working properly with the .net framework, but anyways, maybe this little extra info can help in some way :D

UPDATE 1:
I've been testing again, restored the Data/cfgs but deleted all the images. Now the launcher start super fast, with the default presets in the dropdown menu, but the 4 presets are empty because no image (and nothing clickable on it). My problem have something to do with those images, I even tried having a single folder on Data/cfgs (with image, .ini and preset.lock on it) and that's enough to freeze the launcher while starting.

UPDATE 2:
The launcher freezes while open if I add a preset on Data/cfgs and unfreezes when I leave it empty again. Is the launcher checking for its subfolders constantly? I think it does it for Mods and Addons without using the "Refresh Data" but not instantly. ¿Maybe something is on loop there? This is what I noticed while trying to learn how to program in different languages once something gets caugh on a loop, with the CPU on high usage, but don't listen to me, I know only the very basic stuff about programming (took me like 12 hours to make an ascii battleships, lol).

UPDATE 3:
It doesn't freeze while minimized or in background. It does once it becomes an active window.
This is what happens while adding and removing the image:
https://imgur.com/a/zp584sX
Last edited by HDV on 17 Jan 2021 00:21, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my english.

hakros
Site Admin

Post by hakros »

The truth is that it is very weird.
Could antivirus or some other security software be blocking it?
Check it out to see if it can be that.

HDV

Post by HDV »

Tried with Windows Defender disabled, same with the firewall, but still the same. Must be something specific on my PC, but don't worry, I can still use it in Custom Mode, my favorite part of the launcher ^^
Sorry for my english.

hakros
Site Admin

Post by hakros »

- I'm sorry it doesn't work properly for you.
- I hope that when the new version is available the errors will be solved.
- I'm glad to hear that you still like the program enough to keep using it

Thanks ... :) !!

HDV

Post by HDV »

Hi again. I just want to add something I noticed today. While the launcher is usually using 0% CPU, with GZDoom running and waiting for it to close ("Engine is running, you must wait to end execution"), it uses 10-11% CPU:

I can close the launcher once GZDoom is running, it remembers all the active mods, so it's not big deal. I just wanted to add this new observation, in case it helps in some way.
Sorry for my english.

hakros
Site Admin

Post by hakros »

I check it, thanks.... :) !

HDV

Post by HDV »

Hi again. I want to say I partially solved my problem. I used Disk Cleanup, that thing that comes with Windows 10, and I don't have the presets problems and slowdown anymore! Everything is working fine again, I knew it was a Windows thing! :mrgreen:

Now I must find how the heck the lanucher uses 10-11% of CPU while GZDoom is running. I have no idea where to look, but maybe I randomly find a solution, and my guess is something Windows related again.

I marked the thread as "[Solved]" because the main problem is now fixed. If I find something new about it, I'll comment again here ^^
Sorry for my english.

hakros
Site Admin

Re: [Solved] Suddenly not opening + workaround

Post by hakros »

HDV wrote:
22 Jan 2021 23:29
Hi again. I want to say I partially solved my problem. I used Disk Cleanup, that thing that comes with Windows 10, and I don't have the presets problems and slowdown anymore! Everything is working fine again, I knew it was a Windows thing! :mrgreen:
I'm glad to hear that you were able to solve it
HDV wrote:
22 Jan 2021 23:29
Now I must find how the heck the lanucher uses 10-11% of CPU while GZDoom is running. I have no idea where to look, but maybe I randomly find a solution, and my guess is something Windows related again.
I have already been reviewing this issue and it is because it is associated with the engine you are using, it acquires part of the engine consumption as well control the status of the engine.