4 ideas

If you have any suggestion or a request for next version just write it here
HDV

4 ideas

Post by HDV »

Y'ello! I have a few ideas for the launcher, nothing that "I need it right now" but maybe somebody likes it.

Swap item from preset

Let's say we can double click on a file on the list...

... and then this opens, with the info already filled:

and we can change the file, apply the change and replace the old one in the same place (second file on this case).

Visual icons instead of text

Change this text...

... for... icons. Sorry, I had no idea what kind of icons would be better and got lazy :mrgreen:

Randomize one item and/or lock it

Something like this:

Favorites on Maps

Something like this, maybe?

We can give a score to each map, but checking all those scores one subcategory at a time would be a little boring.
An alternative would be making manually a new category called Favorites and thats it, and add the category/subcategory in the file name.

And that's all. Just a few ideas :mrgreen:

Edit: maybe notes for maps too? Some maps have problems with some mods, would be neat to take notes of that, for future replays :p
Sorry for my english.

hakros
Site Admin

Re: 4 ideas

Post by hakros »

Thank you very much for the ideas (they are very good), I will try to add them in the next version.

Greetings

HDV

Post by HDV »

Hi again. I have 3 more suggestions. I'll leave it here so I don't make a new thread for this.

• Where is the Strife preset? Poor little guy, you forgot about this one in the big update. Can you add it again for the next update? :mrgreen:

• How hard would be to add a right click menu for my second suggestion in the original post? Instead of adding visual buttons, in case it doesn't look good. Dunno witch one would be easier to do, so here is another option in case you liked the idea.

• About the style editor: instead of having to download themes, ¿how about some "code" we can generate to share and paste to apply? For example, the Winamp theme (my favorite) have the next hex colors:
#484A67
#484A67
#484A67
#D7DDDB
#484A67
#D7DDDB
#FFFFFF
#D7DDDB
#FFFFFF
#D7DDDB
#484A67
#00E736
#484A67
#484A67
#484A67
#FDF9AA
#D7DDDB
#484A67
#F3F3F8
#00E736
#00E736
How about convert this on something like this?:
484A67484A67484A67D7DDDB484A67D7DDDBFFFFFFD7DDDBFFFFFFD7DDDB000000484A6700E736484A67484A67484A67FDF9AAD7DDDB484A67F3F3F800000000E73600000000E736DBwhipping_llamas
Just the numbers but consecutive, no "#" to make it more compact. The last characters can be the theme name, also include the two gradient settings (the DB before the name, for Deactivated and Black).

and have a space to paste this code and let the launcher apply those as hex? Doing this, nobody will need to download style files and move it to the launcher's folder, just copy-paste. You can make a thread so people can share their own styles in the comments.

That's it, in case I come up with another idea, I'll answer my own thread again.
Sorry for my english.

hakros
Site Admin

Post by hakros »

Again a very good idea
Thanks a lot.

hakros
Site Admin

Post by hakros »

PS: The Strife preset is on Content Explorer you can downloaded from it.

HDV

Post by HDV »

hakros wrote:
13 Mar 2021 15:07
PS: The Strife preset is on Content Explorer you can downloaded from it.
Oh, didn't know. Then another idea: a download button on presets, mods/addons and maps that opens the content explorer in their respective category. and maybe include Strife with the launcher as it is a base game and it was mixed with presets for mods and maps :mrgreen:
Sorry for my english.

hakros
Site Admin

Post by hakros »

Yes, the truth is that, I don't know why it isn't included, it should be in the base version.

It must have been a mistake. I will try to restore it in the next version.

HDV

Post by HDV »

Howdy. I've been playing one map at a time from the bestwads and cacowards categories until the 2014 list (of course, I didn't finished every single one, but at least half of them) and noticed something that would be neat to have, but not sure how to implement without making it too complex.

What I want to suggest is some kind of tagging system.

I'm pretty sure I'll be going back to this list in the future looking for some kind of maps in particular, but I won't remember which map is which. Tagging them, with custom tags maybe, would be neat for this.

In my case I would add the next tags:
• single map | • megawad | • huge maps | • small maps | • slaughter | • easy | • hard | • finished

And, as extra that maybe helps while choosing mods to not override stuff from the map:
• custom weapons | • custom sounds | • custom textures | • custom enemies

and maybe something extra like:
• have a hub | • medieval | • modern setting | • have story

Let's say we can have a list view of the selected tags, and only those maps with those tags are listed. Maybe, next to the map name and the other info, have the category and subcategory behind, so we know where it is from.
I could create new categories and subcategories, but this wouldn't be the ideal way. I cant put a "•megawad", •"western setting", •"hard", "custom weapons" and "•custom enemies" in a single place.

I know, sounds like too much work for something too specific, but maybe this inspires a better solution... to a problem that maybe nobody else have, maybe I'm playing too much Doom :mrgreen:

PS: by the way, it took me 3 months to check all those best maps from 1993 to 2014 and I don't see myself stopping 'til 2020; heh!
PS2: right now I'm just renaming the maps and adding those "tags" in the name. This is my actual way to deal with this.
PS3: too much visible tags would be a cluster****. Maybe wouldn't be necessary to be visible, and just make something like the Steam's categories, where you can put a game in more than one.
Sorry for my english.

hakros
Site Admin

Post by hakros »

Hello again !

In this case I was already working on a customizable tag system for maps, so you've read my mind... ;-) !!

Anyway, thank you very much for the contribution.

HDV

Post by HDV »

'sup. I have another suggestion.
Would it be possible to list non-downloaded maps in the maps list? I mean, grayed out and downloadable with double click or something. Some "toggle" for it's visibility may be a good idea, in case it doesn't look good.
After refreshing the content explorer it could download an empty folder with the map name for each one, and gray out those empty folders on the list?

Anyways, I'm not sure how it would work if the user edit the map's name. Right now I only edit the names to add some "tags" and nothing else, but you are already working on something like this so renaming the maps wouldn't be necessary at least for me.
Sorry for my english.